Tuesday 1 March 2011

Throw together dinner II

Staring into my fridge and kitchen cupboards this evening, hoping inspiration would hit me regarding what to make for dinner, I realised I had many odds and sods and no cohesive meal jumped out at me.

These odds and sods included-
Ricotta cheese
Slices of chorizo
Speck ham
Pesto
Prawns
Peppers (bell, red)
Spinach
Mushrooms
Passata
New potatoes

So, I concluded the best solution was to make a selection of individual dishes, which I loosely claimed to be based upon tapas, thereby allowing me to make lots of bits and bobs that don’t necessarily complement each other but individually taste nice.


On the menu we had:

Prawns with lemon and white wine (I may not have mentioned the white wine in my lists, but rest assured there is always wine in my house)

Crostini/ bruschetta of baguette slices topped with pesto, a sundried tomato per slice and mozzarella

Boiled new potatoes, fried with garlic, chilli and red pepper with a glug of passata and a dash of white wine (ie bastardised patas bravas)

Spinach, mushroom and ricotta with lots of black pepper and a grating of nutmeg (with bread for dunking)

The speck and chorizo I left cold as an optional extra, or to be pretentious, it formed a meat platter.

There is something so satisfying about throwing stuff together without planning. I know I am usually the queen of forward planning but every now and again I do like to test my ability of a good fridge forage.

No comments:

Post a Comment