Friday 18 March 2011

Middle Farm

Middle Farm, East Sussex

Last weekend I had a serious case of writer’s block (yes I know, woe is me, how I do struggle for my art!).  But if there is anything that can snap me out of a woeful mood it is food, cute animals and countryside (in that order). I did some investigations online and found Middle Farm, near Lewes in Sussex. Drawn to the fact it boasts a farm shop, cider and perry store and open farm it sounded like just what I needed.

I’m afraid I do digress to the maturity of a five year old when around cute animals and was seriously excited by the sheep, llamas, chickens, jersey cows etc in the petting zoo.  Indeed I was even enthralled by the rabbits and I have two of those at home.

Having spent at least at hour cooing over the cute creatures, and trying to convince lovely fiancé that we really do need to buy some chickens, we had afternoon tea at the restaurant (very good scones).

We still had the farm shop and the cider/ perry shop to go. The farm shop was very good indeed, particulary impressive were the cheese selection and the meat counter. The cider/ perry shop it transpired was a treasure trove of wall to wall bottles of boozey delights, not just cider and perry.

What did I buy? Duck eggs and hen eggs , bacon (we had a great breakfast the next day), some beautiful smoked venison and a rather handsome cauliflower.  

From the booze shop I bought some cider (Normandy style, the proper way in my opinion), a bottle of elderflower liqueur (to compare with St Germain elderflower liqueur which I am hooked on) a mini bottle for a friend who loves it too. 


I also got and a bottle of beer called Black Death, made by the Fallen Angel brewery company of Sussex. It’s brewed with naga chillies – which we got for a friend of the lovely fiancé who loves all things chilli (he has been known to drink chilli vodka through the eye, why? I cannot explain).

I feel I should recommend the farm as a ‘great family day out’ farm shop for the parents and animals for the children.  But sod the children it’s just a great day out.


No comments:

Post a Comment