Friday 19 August 2011

A little rant about supermarket snobs

In defense of ‘supermarket snobs’.
More than a few times in my life I have been accused of being a snob. I consider it one of the ugliest words in the English language, it is so full of malice and I find it says a lot more about the accuser than the accused.
What I find particularly offensive is when one is labelled as a snob for something as minor as the supermarket they decide to shop in.  I am a Waitrose sort of girl, and recently entered in to a twitter debate with someone who came out with the line ‘Honestly.  We can’t all shop at Waitrose’.  Actually I have news for you, you can.  It isn’t some magical land with a door policy excluding all but the mega privileged; you don’t have to produce a bank statement to gain entry.  It is a supermarket.
Yes if you went around flinging in products willy-nilly you might find you have chosen something on the pricey end of the scale but there is an inexpensive version alongside the pricey.
When I go to Waitrose, it is actually enjoyable, it is not a chore. Sainsburys on the other hand, most definitely is a chore.  The staff are rude and/or indifferent, the store feels crammed and illogically laid out. There is a Tesco in the next town where the aisles tower over the poor intimidated shoppers and there is only room for two trolleys to pass in the aisles if both shoppers have Stig-like handling abilities.  Should you accidentally bash into a fellow shopper they swear at you, and indeed you swear at them; if it were in Waitrose one would have apologised and laughed about it, but Tescos (and all the other equally soul destroying supermarkets) brings out the worst in people.
I like to think of myself as a savvy shopper. I know when it is worthwhile to spend that little bit more for quality and when a cheaper alternative will suffice.  Fruit and Veg always comes from the local greengrocer, which is a little bit cheaper but more importantly he always gives me a bag of cauliflower leaves for my rabbits and hens – great customer service will always win my vote.
I don’t deny that there may be some fabulous produce in the cheaper end shops on offer if you sift through all the generic nonsense.  But I’d rather not thanks.   I go where I get the best quality and service for my money.

1 comment: