Sunday 19 December 2010

A week in food

Firstly, my apologies for being so utterly lousy at blogging for the last week or so. Been busy, busy busy: started a new job, boyfriend's birthday, chums' wedding, yes I know I'm making excuses. So there is a huge amount to catch up on what's been happening in Dulcima's Kitchen and indeed what I have been nibbling elsewhere. So here are a few of my culinary highlights of the last 10 days as I have been eating like a king!

Friday 10th December – lunch at Wagamama's with a chum. She introduced me to the Chicken Katsu Curry (how it had passed me by until now I will never know considering half the restaurant seemed to be ordering it). Chum's explanation for why she liked it was that it's like curry sauce you buy in chippies oop north but classier (!), sorry Waga's but she makes a good point.

Saturday 11th - six of us out for dinner at La Luna in Godalming, wonderful food. We had various starters between us including fantastic arancini made from rocket and pea risotto (arancini are balls of risotto fried, so so good). For main course I had pheasant breast, which came with the most beautiful red cabbage – I can get strangely excited about red cabbage. Dessert of coconut panna cotta with orange jelly and sables was utterly divine.

Monday 13th – first day in new job, has subsidised restaurant on site, was strangely pleased with the breakfast, porridge can be so uninspiring but with cinnamon apples and sugar I was very content.

Thursday 16th – out for drinkies and dinner with friend's ahead of their wedding on Saturday to meet some chums over from the US. Lovely dinner at the local Thai, very good quality food and oodles of wine. Then home to make rum truffles for the lovely fiancĂ© to take to work the next day for his birthday, for the record cooking with booze when tipsy is risky business, they were very rummy rum truffles, damn nice though.

Friday 17th – celebrating the wonderful young man's birthday, dinner at home of duck breast cooked with star anise served with glazed bok choi and sticky rice, yum yum yum. Followed by pear and chocolate tart.

Saturday 18th – the big wedding and five inches of snow covering all of Surrey! By some miracle we managed to get to the church, beautiful ceremony but sadly many couldn't make it due to the weather. Winter Pimms and cake (made by the stunning and very talented bride) in the church. Reception venue cancelled as roads impassable so we all trekked a few miles in the snow to the groom's parents house for a thrown together spread, very impressive and resourceful cooks indeed! Amazing day.

Sunday 19th – Now I am hungover and am planning a corned beef hash and fried egg as my cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment